Miguel Ángel Campano

Madrid, 1948

Miguel Ángel Campano lives and works in Madrid. He studied fine arts in Madrid and continued training in Valencia. Until 2009, Campano alternated between Sóller (Mallorca) and Paris. Constructivism and geometric abstraction marked the beginning of his career, linked to Gustavo Torner’s and Gerardo Rueda’s geometric abstractions. After settling in Paris in 1977, Campano’s work took a turn towards gesture and expression as the protagonists, under the influence of American abstract expressionism; yet he combines that with nuances of the literary and avant-garde tradition of French culture. The 1990s were characterised by an austerity in which colour was limited to black on white canvases, which did not stop him from achieving very rich results. His work has been on display at the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid (1999), the Maison des Arts Georges Pompidou, Cajare, France (1995) and the IVAM, Valencia (1990), among other places, and is a part of the collections of museums and entities such as the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid, the Musée National d’Art Modernein Paris and Fundación Juan March in Madrid.

Works in the collection