IMPLOSIÓ (cel·lular). Carte blanche for Agustín Fernandez Mallo
«Implosió (cel·lular)» is put forward as the response by writer Agustín Fernández Mallo to a Carte blanche on Es Baluard’s permanent collection: a route through the existing work, reordering certain key elements in a diachronic interpretation, and inoculating others.
“In the 21st century, the reflection on the problem of copies, doubles and duplication re-emerges in the arts and sciences with a force we had believed lost, or perhaps overcome. Counter to what pop postulated in the second half of the 20th century, we now know that nothing is absolutely copyable. And counter to what the Romantic movement had postulated over a century ago, nothing is completely original. Nowadays, aided by complex thinking, it is clear to us that evolution, both in the arts and in science, takes place through copies into which we introduce errors (copy + error)” (Agustín Fernández Mallo).
With the aim of contributing to these reflections on duplication in the present day, Agustín Fernández Mallo recovers the cycle by which a cell duplicates itself as a basic echo of existence. On entering the exhibition «Implosió (cel·lular)» spectators will immediately see, on a lost frame from an early 20th-century silent movie, El secreto de la Pedriza, the very place they now stand in as visitors – Es Baluard. Unexpectedly, this film will serve as a guide for their reinterpretation of the 20th and 21st-century artworks this centre contains.
Activities related to the exhibition:
- “Implosió (cel·lular) seen by Agustín Fernández Mallo”. 12th February, 7 pm. Free entrance. Booking is required by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- On the ocassion of the Book Day, 23rd April, there will be an interrupted reading of a book selected by Agustín Fernández Mallo. From 4 pm to 8 pm. Free entrance.
- “Implosió (cel·lular) seen by Bernardí Roig”. 13th May, 7 pm. Free entrance. Booking is required by emailing email@example.com.
- Screening of the documentary on Pilar Montaner de Sureda La pintora sense rostre, directed by Luis Ortas & Jaume Carrió. 16th June, 8 pm. Free entrance. Presented by Luis Ortas.
- “The enigma of the identical”, a finissage-activity with Germán Sierra, Spanish writer of the Generació Nocilla or Afterpop and researcher in biochemistry and molecular biology. Conference on art and the cellular duplications. 11th September, 7 pm. Free entrance. Booking is required by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. More information